Posted: March 9th, 2022
Choose ONE question to submit an answer.
1. What is the relation between real competition, growing automation to increase productivity and the increase of unemployment?
2. What is Marx’s concept of the ‘Reserve Army of Labor’? Why can we say that it is both the consequence of capital accumulation and a catalyst for securing greater capital accumulation?
3. What are the three components of the ‘Reserve Army of Labor’? Where would migration fit among the categories? How does the reserve army of labor in all three forms operate to secure low wages and bolster political divides within the working classes?
A. Readings: (new material as full documents Available in Files under Week 6)
1. Heinrich – section 5.6, pg 123- 129
2. Foley Adam’s Fallacy pg 125- 127
3. Chapter 25 of Marx’s Capital: Section 3 (788 first paragraph until the first paragraph of pg 790) Section 4: pg 794-802. (Optional pg 790-794). This reading is a bit challenging but do your best!
4. Review from last week: the working-class majority (ch 4 of Hadas Thier — pg 90 – 94)
B. Short Articles
4.1. The undocumented workers in NYC http://invisiblehands.nycitynewsservice.com
4.2. Automation and Job Loss
4.3 Death of Migrant Workers in Qatar for 2022 World Cup
4.4 Child Labor
4.5 Wisconsin reducing working age to 14 (Optional)
Place an order in 3 easy steps. Takes less than 5 mins.